template

Friday, March 25, 2016

Class News

We're loving this spring weather and we're even more excited about our new playground equipment!!! Here's a look at what's new:




We also had a great time on our field trip to the Atlanta History Center. I hope the kids enjoyed it as much as I did!





Here's what we're working on in class:

Phonics: Syllables!!! This week we focused on identifying and reading closed syllables (syllables with short vowel sounds), and next week we're moving on to open syllables (syllables with long vowel sounds).

Reading: The class is continuing to listen as I read aloud Charlotte's Web. We will be asking and answering questions about the characters, main idea and key details of each chapter.

Writing: Next week we're beginning our final writing unit centered around realistic fiction. I think the kids are going to really enjoy coming up with their own characters and problems for their own series of stories.

Grammar: Adjectives!!!

Math: The kids have been having a blast composing and decomposing shapes in class, and now we're working on fractions. Geometry is always a fun unit and we're going to wrap it up before Spring Break.

Science: We have begun our final science unit about weather. We are learning about temperatures and conditions, and we're even collecting weather data each day.

Social Studies: We finished our learning of many amazing American heroes, and now we'll begin exploring different landforms. After spring break, we'll examine several National Parks to see what kinds of landforms the visitors can find there.

Don't forget (who could?)... spring break is right around the corner! There will be no school April 4-8. After that, we only have 7 weeks left of first grade!!! I can't believe how quickly time has passed. Your children have grown and learned so much this year! I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment